i have a love-and-hate relationship with facebook. most of the time, i love it because it’s full of information about the happenings in my surroundings. but other times, i hate it for the same reason. and today is one of those days where i regret having created a facebook account mainly because for the nth time, it has made me feel like a loser despite all my accomplishments in life.
i guess that’s what you get when you’re always in the loop – you see what everybody is doing in their lives. but the sad part is that the comparison never stops, which means envy is always present. in career, for instance. you just want to find out what everybody else is doing for a living. who became a company president or a businessman? who became a plain housewife/husband despite good grades in high school?
and it’s always the job or how good a person is in making money that seems to be the measurement of success. don’t get me wrong – i am more passionate in my career than you think. but still, i can’t shake off devon woodcomb’s (chuck) words: “don’t confuse your job with your life.” so i’ve decided to make a list of the things am good at that are not career-related before i get too deep into self-pity mode:
1. i’m a good daughter and sister. i may not be a perfect daughter and a sister to my parents and siblings, but i can confidently say that i’ve given more than what i was asked – out of love, of course. i love my family dearly that i want to give only the best to them.
growing up in a family that’s always struggling financially, i promised myself that when i become financially free, i will give my parents and brothers the kind of life they’ve never enjoyed. and that’s what i’ve been doing right now. i may not be married, but the fulfillment and love that i get from supporting my family are enough to make my life meaningful.
2. i’m a good friend. it’s one of the things that i pride myself on. i may not be a social butterfly who has hundreds, if not thousands, of contacts. but i can definitely keep long-lasting friendships.
i’m loyal, but i know when i have to tell straight to your face that you need to get your act together. tough love, that’s what they call it. and my friends really appreciate this in me. they also love getting pieces of advice from me.
3. i’m generous. because am good in managing my finances, there’s always room for helping others.
4. i’m passionate. when i set my mind to something, i never stop till i get it. i even inspire other people who aren’t self-starters like i am. and it feels good to be an inspiration.
5. i’m self-aware. it may not be a common achievement to celebrate, but i still take pride on this one. simply because i believe that a lot of problems easily get solved when a person is self-aware. and because i am self-aware, it’s very easy for me to just let go and be happy. i can embrace even the kind of emotions that people usually repress, such as sadness or anxiety that’s why it’s easy for me to let go of them.
i didn’t do this list to brag. i’m just trying to count my blessings. because in a world where you are defined by what you do for a living, it’s very easy to forget your true worth.